Italian residence registration

QQuestion: I am a EU citizen and I would like to know the requirements to become an Italian resident.


AAnswer: EU citizens (and citizens of Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein) can currently spend up to three months in Italy without having to comply with any particular requirement.

A EU citizen who would want to stay in Italy for more than three months and to become an Italian registered resident would need to comply with certain bureaucratic formalities.

When you apply for Italian residence, this does not per se imply that you lose your current status as a resident of the foreign country where you currently live. In other words, dual residence is possible (and it is also regulated by the law in most countries).

Each Municipality has its own policy as to exactly what requirements need to be fulfilled, although most policies are similar throughout the Italian territory.

Here are the basic requirements (but always check with your specific Municipality):

1) Financial Resources: Evidence (or affidavit) that you have sufficient financial resources so that you are not a burden to local social services (a recent bank statement in your name, with a balance of €4,200 or more, per person);

2) Health Insurance: minimum duration one year (average cost of one-year premium is €224);

3) Application Form: see sample at this link;

4) Passport Copy: for each applicant;

5) Accommodation: If you own and Italian property, copy of property title, for example purchase contract, succession paperwork, gift deed; otherwise, registered lease agreement or other evidence of accommodation arrangements (for example, letter of hospitality by a relative or a friend);

6) Marriage Certificate (only if you are applying with your spouse, both being EU citizens): along with an Italian translation.

We assist EU and non EU citizens with immigration, visa and residence registration matters. We offer comprehensive services tailored to the needs of each case, to make each process as easy and smooth as possible. Our services include estate planning, assistance with international wills, advice on immigration law, tax planning, cross-border implications related to dual citizenship, dual residence, change of residence, preparation of visa and residence applications and many more legal and bureaucratic matters.

Contact us for more information.

Follow us on LinkedIn for more on this topic

Related posts:

Italian residence application timing

Italian elective residence visa

Italian visa screening form

Italian permit to stay

Italian permit to stay quotation request


The information presented in the Studio Legale Metta web site has been written and reviewed by Italian lawyers. However, it should not be construed to be legal advice, nor promotion of the establishment of a relationship between lawyer and client. The case studies and answers contained in this web site pertain to the specific situation referenced and should not be understood to generally apply to other circumstances. Persons accessing this web site are encouraged to seek independent counsel for advice concerning their individual needs for legal assistance.

Copyright of Studio Legale Metta – Bari (Italy).

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Share this article

© 2015-2019 Studio Legale Metta | P.IVA 00838600724 Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, 57 - 70122 BARI - Italy Tel +39.080.5211125
Fax +39.080.62031151 | PRIVACY POLICY


Studio Legale Metta